Objective : To build a telematics solution for vehicles to transmit data to server
Hardware used : 1) Mobile Devices C4max (complete-group of 3) 2) Aplicom A9 TRIX (ongoing – individual)
Software Skill set: Java
Automotive Skill set: UDS Protocol, CAN
- Collect data over CAN
- Vehicle metrics : temperature, avg speed, avg pedal position, fuel rate, fuel consumption, distance travelled, mpg etc
- Transmit data packets and GPS locations to the server after every vehicle key cycle
- Avg metrics over the trip
- Histograms (spread of metrics across speed buckets)
- Query vehicle OBD remotely via UDS protocol
- Query check engine light fault codes
- Clear check engine light
Off the shelf C4Max and A9 units come with lower level firmware which has all the features to connect to a cellular tower and transmit data. It provides a strong Java based SDK to develop a wrapper around the firmware to fetch the required data from the vehicle, package it in required format and transmit it to the server.
It is usually a good idea to use these off the shelf units as they are fully certified. It costs thousands of dollars to get a full telematics modem certification.
Here is the Datasheet of C4max
Here is the Datasheet for A9