XLHybrids is a company based out of Boston, MA, founded by MIT grads. We are responsible for aftermarket conversion on commercial vehicles into charge sustaining hybrid electric vehicles.
Our hybrid technology transforms an original equipment manufacturers (OEM) vehicle into a hybrid vehicle by adding an electric motor, an advanced lithium-ion battery pack, and control software to the vehicle without making significant vehicle modifications or modifying the internal combustion engine or transmission.
The XL3 Hybrid Electric Drive System saves fuel through regenerative braking, a process by which the electric motor helps slow the vehicle during braking, to charge the hybrid battery. Then, when the driver accelerates, the hybrid battery releases the stored energy to the electric motor, helping to propel the vehicle. Our proprietary hybrid controls make the electric motor assist smooth and seamless to the driver and passengers.
Title: Sr. Controls Architect (May 2013 – Present)
Primary Responsibility includes development, maintenance and improvement of our proprietary hybrid control software and telematics solution.
- Coding Languages: C, Java, Python, Matlab, Simulink
- EE: Embedded C, Microcontrollers (STM32, Arm Cortex M4, TI-TMS, Arduino/Atmel)
- OEM Protocols: OBDII, J1939, CAN, UDS, CANOpen, Serial
- Analysis tools: Vehicle Spy, Kvaser, Memorator, IXXAT
- Hybrid Control Module Development
- Embedded Level SW Dev: Development of low level drivers for CAN, Timer/PWM, SPI, EEPROM, RTC, SD/ FAT FS for STM32 microcontroller
- Protocol Level SW Dev: Support for various protocols like J1939, OBD2, UDS and CANOpen
- Application Level SW Dev: Strategy development for improving fuel economy
- New vehicle and component (motor, inverter, battery) platform addition capabilities
- Development of state machines to interfaces electric drivetrain with vehicle ECU.
- Reverse Engineering vehicle CAN bus for future vehicle platforms
- Working with inverter, motor and battery suppliers for SW development and product integration
- In Vehicle, On Road and Dynamometer and testing of SW algorithms for safety and fuel economy improvement
- Development of inhouse testing capabilities
- Closely working with service team for data analysis and troubleshooting of on road service needs
- Application level telematics SW development to package and transmit hybrid data to remote servers.